About Jamie Ross
Hi, my name is Jamie Ross.
I’m a mining engineer who lives in Melbourne, Australia, and I like to help people become more productive for themselves, and better leaders for those around them.
Facts about me.
- 12 years in the mining industry and wouldn’t want to work anywhere else.
- Married with no kids, two horses, one dog.
- Learnt my trade in the underground coal mines in Australia, and have since worked in lots of different types of mines and countries.
- Have worked for BHP Billiton, Rio Tinto, Peabody Energy, Coffey Mining and GHD.
- Have done work for Xstrata, HWE Mining, Rio Tinto, SME, AusIMM, and multiple Chinese coal companies.
- I love travelling to China and working there, which all started when I was lucky enough to attend the Beijing Olympics opening ceremony.
- Practical person who loves to learn about different types of leadership tools and models. My mission is to translate these models into something practical the mining industry can really use.
- Part-time hobby farmer and tractor driver.
- Always looking forward to the next time I get to do a presentation, give a speech, or run a training course / workshop.
- Workshop facilitation
- Training delivery
- Public speaking and presentations
- Team leadership and operations management
- Mining engineering, mine planning
- JORC reserve calculations and reporting
- Small business marketing
- Website development
- Blogging and social media
- Race car driving (seriously)
- Mining engineering degree and MBA
Become my friend.
I’ll be attending or presenting at the following events – make sure you come up and say hi:
- October 28: Attending Melbourne Mining Dinner
- November 17: Presenting a seminar on the impacts of the upcoming harmonisation of health and safety legislation on NSW coal mines – Singleton, NSW
- November 24-25: NSW Minerals Council Safety Conference in Dubbo, NSW – Presenting keynote address – “The Future of Risk Management – Are we on the Wrong Track?”
My Safety and Risk Experience.
- Twelve years experience working in mining operations and corporate functions, more recently consulting to mining companies for risk management and operational improvement projects
- Conference presentations including “How Leadership can create an Enduring Safety Culture” and “Managing Fatal Hazards in the Mining Industry”
- Risk Assessment workshop facilitation for Xstrata, Rio Tinto and other mining companies
- Dragline critical risk review for Rio Tinto Coal Australia, including workshop faciliatation
- Development of a OH&S Management system for an underground Chinese coal mine as part of the Australia-China Coal Mine Safety Project. Including running bi-lingual training workshops for the Chinese mine staff
- Development of Major Hazard Management Plans and safe work procedures for mining operations
- Development and implementation of peer-on-peer safe behaviour observations
Leadership and Productivity Experience.
- Developed and delivered one day seminar – “Productivity Tools for New Mining Leaders”
- Author of more than 80 leadership, safety and personal productivity articles on http://www.miningman.com
- Operational leadership, continuous improvement, and senior mining engineer roles with Rio Tinto, BHP Billiton and Peabody Energy
- Continuous Improvement Manager leading and participating in organisational transformation projects
- Technical evaluation of three operating underground coal mines in northern China for Hong Kong Stock Exchange listing. Including risk assessments, technical review, and financial modelling
- Competent person for JORC Reserve reporting for underground coal operations including BHP Billiton, Waratah Coal / China First, and Fushan International Holdings
- Australasian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy (AusIMM)
- Health and Safety Committee Member
- Mining Society Vice-Chairman
- Basic Mandarin conversational skills
Head over to the about page on MiningMan.com to see some of my recent published papers and magazine articles.